By-Law Enforcement FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions and Referrals

Where can I build a fence?

Fences can be built on or within a person’s property line. If a person anticipates a problem with their neighbor, it is strongly recommended that the fence is built inside the property line to avoid any disputes.

My neighbor’s yard is a mess (ie. Long grass, garbage, derelict vehicles, other types of waste), Is there anything you can do about that?

Yes, we have a cleaning and clearing of land by-law that covers issues such as this. Please take the address of the property in question, a detailed description of the issue and the name and phone number of the complainant and an officer will investigate.

When are car shelters supposed to come down?

Car shelters are permitted to be up from October 1st to April 30th.  After April 30th, they must be completely removed.

When is the overnight on-street winter parking ban in effect?

November 1st through April 30th from 11:30pm to 7:30am.

Are there any streets that are exempt from this winter months, overnight parking ban?There are a very few, select streets that are exempt. The street – and which side of the street is exempt – are clearly marked with signs (like the one pictured above)  posted on the telephone posts.


Can I park overnight in a municipal parking lot during winter months?

No – even if you are the holder of a valid municipal parking permit,  no overnight parking is allowed in any of the city’s municipal parking lots.

How large can a shed be before I need to get a building permit?

If a shed is less than 108 square ft., a person is not required to obtain a building permit. There are further zoning restrictions that you need to abide by, such as setbacks. Any further questions should be directed to the building department.

What can I do about my neighbor’s tree overhanging my property?

The City of Timmins does not have a by-law that regulates trees. Any damage caused by a tree or done to a tree is managed through civil court. If you wish to trim your neighbor’s tree, you should obtain written permission. The City will not force any person to trim or cut a healthy tree unless there is an immediate safety risk, or if it is on/ overhanging City property.

My neighbor built a fence on my property

If your neighbor’s fence is on your property you must seek a remedy through civil action. The City does not get involved with issues between private property owners.

Something is broken, dangerous, or not available in my apartment, what can I do?

The property standards by-law regulates the things that a landlord must provide for the tenants. You must provide notice to your landlord about the issue. After notice is provided about the issue, you may file a complaint and set up an appointment with a Property Standards Officer.

Building and Building Permits

Building and Planning Department

Franca Reid:    705 – 360 – 2600 ext:  3336

Business or Lottery Licensinng

Service Timmins:  705 – 264- 1331 or

Loose animals, dog/cat licensing, adoption

Timmins and District Humane Society:   705 – 264 – 1816

Eviction, landlord tenant issues, and any non-building related issues for tenants

The Landlord and Tenant Board:   1 – 888 – 332 – 3234

Aggressive people, abandoned vehicles, moving traffic, after hours noise complaints:

Timmins Police Service:    Business Line: 705 – 264 – 1201

Septic issues, smoking in public places, mold

Porcupine Health Unit:  705 –  267  – 1181

My garbage/recycling didn’t get picked up

Service Timmins:  705 – 264 – 1331  or

Fire, Fireworks, Fire Pits

Fire Department:  705 – 360 – 2665

Committee of Adjustments (seeking re-zoning/ minor variance)

Keshia Horbul:   705 – 360 – 2600  ext:  2467

Municipal Election

Keshia Horbul:   705 – 360 – 2600  ext:  2467