Group Blog Home
Group Blog Home

Recent Posts
February 20, 2019 - With the winter’s continuous changes in weather and precipitation, the Timmins Fire Department would like to remind residents to keep all service meters and vented appliances clear of snow and ice.

Snow and ice buildup on gas meters can block carbon monoxide from leaving your home, and could result in serious risks and loss of service from freezing. Keeping external vents clear ensures fuel-burning appliances function safely and help to avoid the possibilities of dangerous Carbon Monoxide gases to build up indoors.

What to do:

  • Gently brush snow off meters and remove ice from vents. Do not use sharp objects to remove ice;
  • Never pile snow against gas and/or hydro equipment or appliance vents;
  • Don’t let snow or ice block your vents, and maintain eavestroughs and fix leaky seams in or around the area to prevent water from dripping on the meter or vents and freezing;
  • Be careful when using a shovel, plow or snow blower near gas equipment or appliance vents;
  • Ensure meters and vents are clearly visible to any snow-removal equipment operators to prevent damage.

If you have difficulty clearing ice and snow from your meter, contact Union Gas 24-Hour Emergency Assistance at 1-877-969-0999.

If your home is equipped with a fuel-burning appliance, you need a carbon monoxide detector...It's the law!

Posted by Guest  On Feb 20, 2019 at 10:50 AM
  
  • © 2018 City of Timmins. All Rights Reserved.