Frequently Asked Tax Questions

Assessment Questions:

Who is responsible for Property Assessment & Taxation?

Provincial and municipal governments and the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation plays a role in property assessment and taxation:

The Provincial Government sets the legislative framework for assessment and taxation in Ontario by creating Provincial Statutes and Regulations.

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for calculating assessment values and classifying properties according to use, for all properties in Ontario. These values are used to calculate property and education tax rates and to determine the amount each property is taxed.

The City collects property taxes based on the budget requirements. Generally the City will determine the total amount of money that is required for the year and subtract non-tax revenues (these could include transfers from senior levels of government, grants and user fees).

The result is the amount to be raised from taxation. The Province of Ontario sets the Education tax rates for each tax class and the City collects these taxes on behalf of the Province.

How Assessment Works

Property Assessment and Taxation


How is my assessment determined?

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) determines the market value of the properties. MPAC is separate and independent of the municipality. For the 2017 to 2020 taxation years, the valuation date is January 1, 2016. The 2021 taxation year is also based on a valuation date of January 1, 2016, due to the affects of COVID-19. 

Local property sales occurring around that date provide a basis as to the assessed value of similar unsold properties. MPAC continually collects information about properties to ensure that those with similar features (age, size, location, construction, etc.) have similar but not necessarily identical assessed values.

Is my assessment correct?

Ask yourself if the MPAC value is close to what you would have expected to sell your property for in January of 2016.  MPAC has an online service called About My Property. Using this service, property owners can review basic assessment information for their own property and comparable properties.

Unique access codes were provided to each property and can be located on your Assessment Notice. Further information can be obtained from MPAC at or by calling 1-866-296-MPAC (6722).

I disagree with my assessment. What should I do?

If you believe that your assessment is incorrect, you should first contact MPAC to discuss your assessment or verify details about your property. If you still have concerns, you may file a Request for Reconsideration (RFR) with MPAC. The request must be filed by March 31st for the current taxation year or 90 days after receiving a supplementary or omitted assessment notice.

These dates are subject to change each year. You can obtain an RFR application on the forms section of the MPAC website or by calling MPAC's toll free number, 1-866-296-MPAC (6722).

Filing an RFR is a mandatory first step for residential property owners. MPAC must respond by September 30th of the year or within 180 days for supplementary and omitted assessment appeals.

If you disagree with MPAC's decision, you may file an appeal with the Assessment Review Board (ARB). For more information on appeals, contact the ARB.


Changes to my Assessment:

I had a reduction to my assessed value through an appeal application but the change has not been reflected on the interim tax bill.

It is possible that the signed documents were not received by the municipality prior to the issuance of the interim bill. The Municipal Act allows a municipality to issue an interim tax bill for up to half the previous year's taxes prior to the adoption of the City's budget and setting of the current year's tax rates.

Once the tax rates have been set for the current year, an adjustment will be made to your account using the new assessment figures. Contact our office to verify that the municipality is in receipt of the legal documents.

I had a demolition permit to remove structure(s) from my property. How do I apply for the reduction in my taxes?

Once the demolition is completed a Section 357 application must be completed. The application form is available at the Tax Department at City Hall. The deadline for this application is the end of February of the year following the demolition.

I received a Property Assessment Change Notice (Supplemental/Omitted Assessment). What is it for and how does this affect my tax bill?

MPAC will issue notices of omitted and supplementary assessment primarily for new construction, additions, renovations, class changes and assessments that were omitted from the assessment roll. These bills are in addition to your regular tax bills.

MPAC has the authority to issue these notices for the current year and the previous two years. The city will issue tax bills based on the effective dates and values provided by MPAC.

You can call the Tax Department to discuss how much the taxes will be on this new assessment or you can use the Tax Calculator on our city website.


Property Tax Bills:

How are tax rates calculated?

Annually, the City will establish a budget to provide for municipal services and infrastructure. A tax rate is calculated in accordance with Provincial legislation which meets the funding requirements identified in the budget. The Province sets the education tax rates for all properties. The residential education tax rate is the same province-wide.

When are property tax bills mailed out and when are they due?

Billings must be mailed 21 days prior to the due date. The interim tax bill is due in one installment with the due date being the last business day in February. The final tax bills are mailed the first week of May and have two due dates, generally due by the last business day in May and the last business day in August.

If I do not pay my taxes by the due date will I be charged a penalty?

Penalty on the current year’s taxes and interest on prior years’ taxes are charged on overdue taxes at the rate of 1.25% per month (15% per year) as authorized by Section 345 of the Municipal Act.

These charges are added to overdue accounts on the 1st day of default and on the 1st business day of each month thereafter.

How do I change my school support designation on my tax bill?

To change school support designation, visit the MPAC School Support Designation page at this link for all information regarding school support designations:

You can either change your school support online through the MPAC Portal or complete the Application for Direction of School Support form which can be downloaded from the MPAC page linked above.

What is the EF charge on my tax bill?

The EF code represents environmental fees that are collected on residential properties at a set rate per unit. These fees are used for garbage pickup, recycling program, dump maintenance and monitoring, hazardous waste disposal and spring cleanup. This fee is subject to change each year. For the most up to date rates, please review our "User Fee" by-law. 

I received a tax bill for a property I no longer own. What should I do?

If you no longer own the property, please contact Service Timmins and provide us with the name of the lawyer that represented you in the sale of the property. Your lawyer will be able to provide a copy of the legal transfer documents to our office.

Who do I need to notify for a change to my mailing address?

Mailing address changes can be submitted to the City of Timmins tax department. To prevent misdirected tax bills, please advise the Tax Department in writing of mailing address changes. Failure to receive a tax bill could result in penalty and interest charges of 1.25% per month applied to unpaid accounts.


Property Tax Payments:

What are my payment options for paying property tax?

  1. By Mail
    •  Please attach your cheque to the payment stub provided when mailing your payment.
  2. At Financial Institutions
    •  Payments can be made at most financial institutions up to and including the due date. Service charges may apply.
  3. At City Hall
    • Tax bills can be paid at the Service Timmins located on the main floor of City Hall by Interac, cash, money order, bank draft or cheque. There is also an outside payment slot located to the right of the front doors of City Hall.
    • Do not place cash payments in these boxes as the municipality is not responsible for lost or stolen payments.
  4. Internet Banking
    • Payments can be made using personal online internet banking. Your nineteen (19) digit roll number is required, enter all digits, starting with the 5627, and do not include spaces, dashes or decimal points. Service charges may apply. Please note that the roll number is attached to the property and not to the owner. If you sell your property make certain to update the roll number in your records.
  5. Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Plan
    • The City of Timmins offers two pre-authorized payment plan options with no administrative fees:
      • Monthly Plan (over 12 months):
        • In January an estimated annual tax is calculated on a 12 month basis, from January to December, either on the 15th of the month or the last business day of each month.
        • The system will automatically recalculate this amount in June or July when the actual taxes are known to ensure taxes are paid in full by December. This amount will remain until January of the following year.
      • Installment Plan:
        • Annual taxes owing are withdrawn three times per year on the installment due dates as long as the account has no outstanding tax arrears.             

How do I sign up for the Pre-Authorized Payment plan?

Click on the link below to download a copy of the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan enrollment form for Property Taxes, or visit city hall for a paper copy.

Pre-Authorized Payment Plan - Property Taxes

Please use one of the following methods to submit your completed form:

  • Email to [email protected] 
  • Mailed to City of Timmins, Tax and Utilities Department at:
    220 Algonquin Blvd E
    Timmins ON P4N 1B3
  • Drop Off at City Hall – Service Timmins Department
  • Fax to 705-360-2699

My mortgage company pays my taxes, but I would like to pay on my own. How do I change this arrangement?

If you would like to pay your taxes independently, please contact your mortgage company. The mortgage company must send a letter to the City tax department stating that the mortgage company is no longer responsible for paying taxes on that property.

I need an official receipt for property taxes paid last year for Canada Revenue Agency. Is there a charge?

If you require an official tax letter, contact Service Timmins at 705-264-1331 for details, or visit the Service Timmins Portal: to submit your request/inquiry. 

If you have sold your property, please refer to the Statement of Adjustments provided by your lawyer.

What are my taxes used for?

Your tax dollars are used to cover the cost of all city services such as fire & police protection, roads, DSSAB, and the Health Unit. If you wish to see where your tax dollars are going for the current year, please visit our "Municipal Property Tax Calculator", all you need is the assessed value of your property, which can be located on your most recent tax bill. 

What is a Tax Sale?

The municipality has the right to register a Tax Arrears Certificate on the title of a property for unpaid taxes. After one year, from date of registration, if the taxes remain unpaid and no extension agreement bylaw is in effect, the property will be advertised for sale. These sales usually occur in September each year. Advertising of the sale will be placed in a local newspaper for four consecutive weeks as well as once in the Ontario Gazette.

Also on the city’s website, the notice will appear, along with the maps of the properties and information on the tendering process.


What if I have more questions?

For assessment questions, please contact MPAC at 1-866-296-MPAC (6722).

For tax questions, please contact Service Timmins at 705-264-1331 or visit the Service Timmins Portal: